Old Dec 29, 15, 2:08 pm
chinafish

So the conversation went something like this:

Agent: I've checked all dates and cities, and I can see availability in some transatlantic flights, but nothing for domestic whatsoever.
Me: OK I'll give up on the domestics. Can you check 13/08 LHR ORD AA47.
Agent: There's none in Economy.
Me: How about First class?
Agent: Yes
Me: Please block it for me. *squealing inside* Then can you check 20/08 ORD LHR AA46.
Agent: None in First class. But let me check Business. Yes there is availability.
Me: YES!!!! Please hold these seats for me. Ok I need to speak to my husband about the dates etc I'll call back.

I then called back and this agent realised the fare wasn't quoted (and to be fair I only realised at that point. I got too excited that the first agent managed to hold for me seats in different classes outbound vs inbound) and so went off to find the fare.

Agent 2: So this ticket with outbound in First and inbound in Business will cost 40000 miles.
Me: ARE YOU SURE? I'm expecting a LOT more.

Part of me was very tempted to just let her carry on with the mistake but I didn't want this to come back and bite me on the bum, I didn't want to be dishonest, and I don't really have another opportunity to fly using AA or EY before the miles expire.

Agent2: It says here on my chart 40000. OK then I'll double check. *puts me on hold* Sorry it should be 100000 miles.
Me: Are you absolutely sure?
Agent2: It says here 50000 one way for business and first. So it will be in total 100000 miles. Taxes and charges come to a total of 231.05

At that point I'm so happy I just paid it and got off the phone. I figured if they come back to me and say they should have charged me more miles at least they're in my account.

There... they'll probably come after me now!

So tangey to answer your questions:
1. They charged me 100000 EY Guest miles for this ticket.
2. The fare details section on my e-ticket:

Outbound Fare basis / fare choice ZBP00N1F
Inbound Fare basis / fare choice UBP00NIC

Endorsement / Restrictions: NONE

Fare Calculation Line:
LON AA CHI1.00AALON1.00NUC2.00END ROE0.652504XFORD4.5

Fare:
GBP 1.00

Taxes/Fees/Carrier-Imposed Charges:
GBP 146.00 GB5 (AIR PASSENGER DUTY APD)
GBP 41.65 UB6 (INTERNATIONAL DPTRS IOM THROUGH LTN)
GBP 23.80 US2 (US INTERNATIONAL TRANSPORTATION TAX)
GBP 3.70 YC (US CUSTOMS USER FEE)
GBP 4.70 XY (US FEDERAL INSPECTION FEE)
GBP 3.40 XA (US APHIS USER FEE)
GBP 3.80 AY (US SECURITY FEE)
GBP 3.00 XF (US PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGE)

3. Out and return are in the same booking, within 1 reservation.

One thing that was quite good is that the eticket receipt provided both the reservation code and the "Airline reservation code". I managed to use the "reservation code" on the myflightsapp site, and used the "airline reservation code" on the AA site, which I assumed correctly to be the AA record locator. I had expected to have to jump through a few hoops to get the booking to show up and be attached to my AAdvantage account, which was a nice surprise.

The first agent mentioned something along the lines of:
1. needing to come out of his current screens and going into a separate screen to check AA availability
2. Availability doesn't come on screen live for him. He'll have to go and create a dummy booking for each flight I'm interested in, and send a request out. It will come back as either "confirmed" or "unconfirmed".

To me this sounds like the agents really need to know what they're doing. Maybe some agents haven't had enough training, brought up the flights, didn't see any award information and decided that it means no availability whatsoever. Unfortunately if you get one of those agents it'll be a case of HUCA because it's really not up to the customer to train the agent how to do their job.

Hope this helps!

Fish