FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2015 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:22 am
stimpy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
LYS-LHR-IAD 20+ hour delay

I had a 20+ hour delay due to BA gate ops, however BA is claiming that they are not responsible for ATC delays. I replied to them that this wasn't about an ATC delay. Indeed there was a 10 or 15 minute ATC delay, but when we arrived at the gate there way no one to meet us. When someone finally arrived about 15 minutes later they could not get the jetty to work. After another 20 minute the captain called "company" to get us deplaned by the rear of the aircraft. He was denied. Finally after sitting at the gate for over an hour they got the jetty to work and we deplaned. I ran to flight connections but was denied access as it was just a few minutes too late. BA put me up in an LHR hotel and on a flight the next morning to IAD.

The final response I received from customer relations is this...

Thanks for getting back in touch with us about your EU compensation claim. Please, accept my apology for the late reply. I understand this is something you feel strongly about and I’m sorry you’re unhappy with our previous replies.

We really want you to fly with us again and we know not resolving your complaint fully will affect the decisions you make when you need to travel in the future. I’ve had another look at your claim for compensation and I’ve taken time to make sure our response is accurate and up-to-date.

I’m afraid our decision hasn’t changed and the responses you’ve received about the eligibility of your EU compensation claim are correct. As Air Traffic Control restricted operations , we’re unable to offer you any compensation. I know this isn’t the answer you were hoping for and I’m sorry to let you down.

Given the information we hold about your delayed, our answer won’t change and we’re unable to respond to any further requests for compensation.

As a Gold member I've never had such a response from BA before as what they wrote in the last sentence. So I think I will go the small claims route unless someone here has alternative advice?