FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Riviera Palm Springs, Tribute Portfolio Resort [Master Thread]
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:46 am
LISAA

Programs: Marriott BONVOY PLAT Lifetime PLATINUM, 16 years elite; AA 2MM LTPlat, UA, US, DL
Bad first impression

Arrived at 4:35 and went to stand in a long line.....Vegas-type of long line; only there were only a couple of agents at the two desks (4 terminals). I actually braved the glances of those waiting and went forward to see if there was an SPG line....there was a sign; but no rug, nor any other tell-tale status line. So I waited; 30 minutes later I called my SPG concierge, which I never do....and it was fruitless. Apologies and then he said they were very busy with many people in line, and rooms not ready.I asked if there were expedited check-ins and he said "not at this time" and so we waited.....another 30 minutes. 5:38 got to the check-in and I tip my hat to Lynette; a PRO who was keeping it all calm. She apologized and I told her I had been in line an hour and while I knew it was not her fault I wanted corporate to know that it is bad form to have a new hotel (2 months now) not ready for SUNDAY night guests; nor any accomodation for elites. She quickly gave me keys, mentioned that my room was a suite and asked about my amenity (points). We parked and schlepped our bags up stairs to the second floor only to find that there were guests already checked in to that suite; who told us "this is our THIRD room and we are not moving" by now it is after 6PM and we are meeting friends for dinner at 7. Back to check-in back past a line of 30 or so angry glares; and I went to Lynette and said "our room is occupied" ......to her credit she said wait there I will be with you in a moment and after she helped the man she was with she did let the unhappy people next in line know that she had to work with me. She spent about 5 minutes looking for something....(I had glimpsed the suite we were to have, and it was nice) and she finally had something to give us that was ready, and better than what we had been upgraded to.....Really I think that Lynette deserves a huge pat on the back for how well she was handling a complete day of grumpy people because the roll-out here is not on target. (I heard in line that some people who had come early had waited 5 hours for a room assignment and many were still not in). That said; we finally got in our building 4 room on floor 2 and rushed to get to our dinner....got back at 9PM and the NOISE above us was heinous until about 10:45; so much so that I went up and stood outside the room directly above to see if there were a rugby match.....but I did not call because I could hear the sound of my own walking as I walked the floor outside and above my room. NOT soundproof; at least not mid-level in Bldg 4. The rooms are pretty, the deco is retro and fun; and I love the location.....the entrance is very glitzy. We have a suite and it is comfortable in all ways, linensand televisions, lighting. Location! and proximity to old Palm Springs for the nightlife and restaurants....plus there is history here I want to review. I will ask for a higher floor/corner unit when we come again or a quieter building (I think our first suite was only a two-level bldg). Pool looked lovely and so did the restaurant.....we will check them out and review.