FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Looking for help choosing hotels in Rome/Florence/Venice
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:05 pm
pointspinnacle

Programs: A bunch
Originally Posted by bhrubin
That likely would be my first pick for Rome as of now...but then I find value in earning points when choosing between luxury hotels of comparable quality and price. There is no consensus choice for a best hotel in Rome, or even a best group of hotels, either due to location or style preferences, so to me the St Regis is as good a choice as any other.

IME, the general Luxury Hotels FT consensus seems very anti-SPG and particularly not so fond of St Regis when compared to other luxury hotel brands. I couldn't disagree more, but I appear to be a exception. I think many herein perceive St Regis (and Park Hyatts and SPG Luxury Collection) to be "lesser" simply because it's possible to get a free room or suite using points/upgrades. The fact that Virtuosos allows upgrades or that a great travel agent can do the same at places like FS, MO, Pen, or Aman doesn't seem to bother anyone...but the fact that the "masses" can achieve that with St Regis or PH seems to create a challenge for some in the perception of their quality.
Amen Bhrubin! I lurk here quite a bit and I often times in reading this forum I agree with your thoughts/observations.

I can imagine the heartache in this forum if Aman resorts came out with a "points program"!!! Lol it would be fun to watch! I have never had a bad stay at a St. Regis yet.

I enjoy this forum quite a bit and appreciate the insights here but the negativity on legitimate luxury options that can be had on points are "poo-poo'd" by most here. However if the place charges $1600/night for the room and can keep out the "riff-raff" its a winner here. I always imagine most of the regulars posting here doing so from the back seats of there rolls royces!