FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Goin' Where The Climate Suits My Clothes
Old Dec 27, 2015, 9:03 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks so much to those of you who've taken the time to read and then comment on this report. My primary concern is that it was too long, so it's gratifying to hear that this hasn't been an issue for those of you who have commented.

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Wow! What an awesome, convoluted, wayward trip.

Lazing around at home this TR really kept me busy - along with a glass (or many) of South African white wine of course.
How fitting that my first response should come from South Africa. Thanks, roadwarrier!

Originally Posted by matted
I check in regularly to the trip reports part of this forum, always hoping you've submitted a new report and today is one of those days.
Merry Christmas mate, you've made my day.
Thank you, matted! I hope you'll find it's been worth the wait!

Originally Posted by jlemon
Well, I've been sitting here savoring your latest tour de force trip report accompanied by several cups of freshly ground Costa Rican coffee with Baileys....of course!

Wow!!! You've done it again, sir, and your reports are, quite frankly, nothing short of remarkable. You've also caused me to seriously look at some possible international first class reward travel for us using my AAdvantage miles before the looming devaluation takes place this spring. And I've got a bunch of BA Avios hanging around as well. I'm thinking First Class on Cathay Pacific.......

Meantime, Lady K, our little pup Miss Bella and I are looking forward to your next visit to down here to Cajun country....and hopefully we'll be able to visit with you longer than the "Sunset Limited" takes to make its brief stop here! Perhaps you'd care to join us for dinner featuring marinated tomahawk rib eye steaks barbecued by yours truly and accompanied by a fine Margaux you may be familiar with.....
Good luck with that award redemption, JL. Hopefully you'll be able to score a couple of seats in Cathay's First Class which I think you'll both agree is amongst the best out there.

As for a visit to the Bayou, I'd love to join you all for dinner someday, even if the wine were Night Train !

Originally Posted by tsastor
Thank you so much for this wonderful Christmas present, Seat 2A. As I thought the main destination would be South Africa, I've been reading it sipping some Amarula liqueur, a bottle of which can be seen in your picture of the bar in the South African lounge, and combining it with a couple of Apricot in Brandy chocolates by Anthon Berg. Quite a lot of this sweet liquid, considering the length of the report, but Christmas comes just once a year... And now time to go to bed dreaming of future experiences of premium class air travel.
Ah... Amarula! I was first introduced to that delicious elixir in South Africa back in 2004. What a fine choice to accompany this read! In fact, I think I just may look into a purchase of some when I head into town tomorrow. In the meantime, here's hoping that your dreams come true...^

Originally Posted by Bretteee
How was Chiloe in Chile? Is it worth it? Or Puerto Varas is enough?
Everywhere in Chile is worth it, from the arid plains of the Atacama to the rugged peaks of Patagonia - the entire country is stunningly beautiful. Go and explore!

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Thank you for making this the best Boxing Day ever! I started this TR early this morning with a mug of Colombian coffee (with a nip or two of Kahlua added), continued on with a Goose Island IPA over lunch and have just now finished with a glass of Woodford Reserve (rocks), all consumed in your honor.

What an amazing read, a fantastic journey and heartfelt thanks for the time, energy and creativity you've put into this report. Kudos!
Thank you, NoLaGent! That's quite a day you put together reading this, and I am indeed honored. Thanks also for acknowledging the time and creativity that naturally go into a report of this length. It makes it all worth it to hear that it's been appreciated. ^^

Originally Posted by canuckshark
I spent a wonderful, lazy Saturday reading your trip report - thank you Seat2A. I am a person caught up in the day to day mundane rat race. This year I am going to lose 300 hours of vacation time because I have not had a minute to myself. Having said that, my dream is to just get away on one of these First Class flying jaunts visiting the world. I live vicariously through your trips
Thank you, canuckshark. My dream is to either

1.) hear that you've finally rewarded all your hard work with a nice trip
and/or
2.) read about it all in a trip report.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Sky303
Hell of a report as usual. I always know I'm in for a treat when your reports show up. Also loving the historical flight context...that UA 747 must have been a hell of an experience.
Thank you, Sky303! I had the good fortune to fly quite a few lounge equipped aircraft back in the 70s, the most common of which was Continental's DC-10. United also had magnificent coach lounges aboard it's DC-10s and 747s.

As to those amenity kits, I managed to clear them out this Christmas. I needed the space and it'll be good to see them get some use.

Originally Posted by theshaun
WOW!! Thanks for sharing this adventure with us. Your passion comes through in buckets.
Thank you, Shaun! After 5100 flights and 4.95 million miles flown, I'm thankful the passion still burns hot!