FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your Worst POE experiences outside of the US
Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:47 am
eefor jfp

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Did your wife mentioned above give up her EU citizenship or are you divorced?

If your wife is an EU citizen from a country other than Finland, or if she was intending to move from another EU country to Finland with you, then you had a legal right to migrate to Finland if she decided to do so too and you guys became economically active in Finland within 90 days.

HEL's passage is closed to me? Oh, I'm crying. If I were stuck living in HEL, I'd be aiming to live it up in Croatia instead too.

HEL seems to have issues with my travel parties too -- just not as much as those old Warsaw Pact countries' airports now do in such a way that it reminds me that the more things change the more some things don't. Passport control in some places remind me of this, WAW for example. But HEL just seems more uptight formal than is common in the NPU countries.
My wife and son and I were there for a few days for a city break for her birthday. No immigration, no divorce, nothing unusual except that she has an EU passport and I have a US passport and Croatian permanent residence card. My son has a US passport. We went up tot he counter as a family. I don't know what he was thinking--were we trying to emigrate to Finland, or what, but the grilling was the most strict I have ever dealt with in all my days of traveling.

In retrospect, maybe if I had been alone it would have been fine--an American tourist visiting Finland for the weekend. I don't what set him off but he didn't like whatever combination my wife and I represented.