FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tumi vs. Briggs & Riley
View Single Post
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:06 pm
GeoSpark

Programs: Current: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond. Former United 1K, JetBlue Mosiac, SPG Platinum
Never used B&R, but have been using Tumi for over 9 years. Their carb cases are awful, glad your staying away, but the 4 International Carry On is excellent it is my go to cabin luggage.

Highlights in its career:
- in India it survived being dragged through the local streets and handled on multiple Air India domestic flights as checked luggage exceed the weight of cabin luggage. Also these aren't the streets of NYC or Mumbai I was in some outskirt cities.
- Survived being pulled through the streets of NYC multiple times and I mean miles at a time and I just drag it up cuebs,
- Survived rain storms of Taipei (not water proof but no rust and the luggage was pretty dry some items were a tad damp, but it was in heavy Monsoon rains for about 45 min)
-Survived direct sunlight of Singapore (no warping of parts)
- Fell down a escalator at ATL.
- Accidentally left in the snow of our rental homes porch when skiing last year in Jackson Hole. (Everything opened fine while frozen before thawing and did not feel brittle)
- Dragged onto a beach in FL and while camping the damp muds of new england (sprayed the wheels under the hotel sink so they would role a tad better)

Yes the plastic bottoms looked scratched, but the zippers, handle, and fabric, and wheels spin as new.

Now that I have told you how its tough. Why is it practical

1. Met EU, Asia domestic hand luggage restrictions never given any issues in both economy and business class. Can fit under the middle seat of some domestic UA 757 and has always fit in the overhead.
2. Lot of pockets, 2 side pockets for ties, close hangers for suites, front pockets for random stuff, and also you can get a Tumi toiletry kit that spits in half and is clear on one side. Maximum space usage for clothes especially if rolled, a exterior hook that can be attached for the extra bag.
3. Its expandable (though it will have be checked)
4. It has 4 wheels for stability and one hand use and it has hand is adjustable.
5. LOCAL TUMI stores if you have problems to actually talk to someone face to face. They also give loaner luggage like a car dealer when you go in for service.
6. 10 year warranty. I know people complain Tumi quality has gone down and yes it has. I can confirm, but to be honest after 5 years I would be looking to upgrade anyways. I have a Tumi brief circa 2005 that just sits in my closet. Why because the new breifs have more features. Hence I would say about 5 years life is fine me. These aren't classic cars.
7. Accessories you can buy and attachments from Tumi online or their local stores.
8. There are Tumi stores in Malls you can stop into to look at the luggage in person.
9 Zipper never have gotten stuck and can be serviced at a Tumi store.
10. Their alpha 2 collection pairs perfectly. I have multiple briefs and backpacks and they don't just match aesthetics, but they also can go over the handle to lock on the luggage.
11. Monograming, looks nice.
12. Great customer service.