FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your Worst POE experiences outside of the US
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:31 pm
t325

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Millions of Indians have names that sound like rather common Mexican names -- courtesy of Christian missionaries in India and the various European colonization of various parts of India. You should see what happens to Indian passport users with "Chinese"family names.. This just goes to show that passport control types aren't very well schooled in the ethno-cultural diversity that exists around the world and has even existed for more centuries in parts of the "Old Wolrd" than there has been an independent US -- let alone Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Well, thanks for answering that question, used to work with an Indian guy with the last name Rodriguez and was wondering how the hell he got that name, but I thought it was way too rude of a question to ask him.

Originally Posted by CkCrunch
I actually find UK agents at LHR to be generally bad. There are some really nice ones, but the surly ones always give you so much attitude. For convenience my wife, who is an investment banker, was on a youth mobility visa for over a year (normally those are for recent graduates doing odd jobs). Her being an investment banker with lots of stamps on her passport made every agent incredibly suspicious and she would always get extensive (and pretty condescending) questioning...

As for A-shares, I would not own the ETFs, too many financials in the ETFs...
My entries at LHR have generally been alright, but I seek out the older, female agents because they always seem to be the friendliest. I got one woman who was probably old enough to be my grandmother and it was still, to date, the most pleasant interaction with a border agent I've ever had anywhere (if you don't count the old quick glance and a stamp without saying a word you sometimes get an interaction). She was cracking jokes with us and was the stereotypical polite Brit. Granted, small sample size for me, but the younger and middle aged males always seem to have some sort of chip on their shoulder.

Last edited by t325; Dec 24, 2015 at 10:36 pm