FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rosetta Stone....anyone use it?
View Single Post
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:42 pm
backprop

Programs: AA
I had the Spanish version years ago. IMO it wasn't great for my needs. It gave me the impression that I was learning quickly; that it, it helps you pick up nouns and adjectives and basic verbs and you are able to speak the pre-packaged phrases with some speed and finesse.

But where it falls short IMO is understanding the grammar - things like verb tenses and cases and anything but the most basic, formal version of communication. It would have been difficult for me to actually communicate with a native speaker - particularly if I needed to interpret the response - with the first few Rosetta stone levels.

Although it wasn't nearly as fast as Rosetta Stone promised to be, I had the best success using the book: Spanish Grammar for Independent Learners 2nd Edition, sometimes called SGIL. It is not colorful or 'fun' like Rosetta Stone, but to me it was very logical and really helped get into the "nooks and crannies" of the language. For me, I felt like I was actually learning the real language - and not "dos cervesas, por favor" Spanish.

I need to note that I had three years of high school Spanish and was comfortable with pronunciation and cadence. If I didn't know the language at all, I would have needed an adjunct audio course, and in fact, Rosetta stone might have been a decent way to start.

Last edited by backprop; Dec 24, 2015 at 1:52 pm