FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tumi vs. Briggs & Riley
View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:54 pm
mspreh
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by FoJ4life
I am on the market for a new carry-on. I get deathly terrified when airlines are staring down bags as we are boarding through the jet bridge. What are travelers' thoughts when it comes to these two products: Tumi Alpha 2 INTERNATIONAL EXPANDABLE 4 WHEELED CARRY-ON vs. Briggs & Riley DOMESTIC CARRY-ON EXPANDABLE SPINNER baseline, U122CXSP. I have been loyal to Tumi for quite some time but am thinking that Briggs & Riley has Tumi on this one.

Thoughts?
How does B&R have Tumi on this one?

Percentage of bags needing repair due to defect in the first 1 year, 2 years, or 3 years? Nope Tumi wins hands down, less than 1/3 the number of bags needed repair in 2014, and Tumi sells about 26 bags for every 1 B&R sells.

Especially when you consider the handle is on the outside of the bag making it bigger. This will make the B&R less likely to meet your needs and concerns if it goes in a sizer!

Tell me what I am missing?

Style or Design? That's a personal choice, and if you like the way the B&R looks over the Tumi, then it wins on that.

Weight, the B&R is a little lighter.

Suiter portion: No contest Tumi smokes anything B&R has.

Expandable. It's about the same, biggest difference is the rigid form factor that expansion is with B&R. If you use the expansion, good luck stuffing into an overhead or sizer. So the winner again is Tumi.

Casters: The wheel system is so much smoother on the Tumi. Comparison B&R old horse drawn carriage, take the Tumi you will feel like your driving a Maybach.

Other than weight and what your personal take on style is, Tumi wins the rest of the competition. Especially if you are concerned about being able to actually bring it on board.