FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Birthdays in HKG + SYD (CX F/J, QF J, HA F)
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:03 pm
lmwong1977

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Day 2: Hyde Park, Barrack Museum & Royal Botanic Gardens

Sleep like the dead for nearly 12 hours. It's thankfully cooled down with a storm front in the area bringing things down to 70s F.

With the threat of rain I decide to go with the park itinerary. But first is brunch, I find a cafe with a bit of an outdoor area.

Brunch
Chicken, Almond, Spinach sandwich and a pot of tea

Hyde Park

ANZAC War Memorial - the water part was blocked off for redevelopment

Hyde Park Barracks Museum
It's very well set up for field trips for school kids with interactive screens and lots of things kids can touch. As a former Exploratorium docent - ^

You can sit in the judge's seat (no gavel though)

Convict food

Hats

Convict hammocks

Convict census with crime and sentence. Stealing a pig or sheep was 7 years, but a horse is a life sentence

Immigrant girl clothing - in the trunk next to it are kid sized versions of it so they can try the clothes on if they want

Immigrant girl beds - when you lift the lid of the trunks, an audio of a girl's story begins and inside are some artifacts they found in the floorboards and their fate in Australia.

Royal Botanic Gardens

Cycad - a "living fossil"

Wollemi pine - only three stands in Australia

Lions Gate

There was a tree just covered with cockatoos, but some kid ran up making a bunch of noise so they scattered before I could get a picture of it.

Obligatory bridge/opera house shot

Mrs. Macquarie's Chair

HMAS Adelaide

Bamboo graffiti

Being from Oakland where we have Jack London Square, this was cool:

Dinner