FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA ticket - How to determine / verify luggage allowance?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:38 am
JVPhoto

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lancelot21
Both my wife and I are 1Ks.

The question is whether LH or UA rules 'should' apply here. If we were starting the itinerary with LH, I'm pretty sure LH rules (two bags, as noted above, at 50 pounds each) would apply unless LH's agent chose to designate UA as the most significant carrier.

But since we started the itinerary with UA, I believe United's rules should apply (three bags of 70 pounds).

BUT when we changed the itinerary, the reissued ticket listed Lufthansa's baggage limits, not United's. I don't think that's right and, indeed, the baggage calculator differs from the ticket.

But the rules don't always seem clear. Possibly changing the ticket changes how the DOT rules get applied? I don't see why but it might.
Here's where I have to disagree where you are viewing it as a whole itinerary and not flight segments which in your case spans nearly a year.
You're basically saying (status aside) that if you flew from the A to B in Economy and back in First Class you should get whatever the economy baggage allowance even for your flight back in F. And then by the same token on the opposite side if you flew from A to B in First class and then flew back in Economy you should get your First class allowances all the way through.