FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Birthdays in HKG + SYD (CX F/J, QF J, HA F)
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:40 am
lmwong1977

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Day 3: Ngong Ping 360 - Big Buddha & Po Lin Monastery

Breakfast at the Inn Part 2
There was also toast, I think you know what that looks like.

So it was slightly clearer than yesterday, so I figure Big Buddha would work. We didn't wake up very early but I think it was earliest of the trip. We took the subway to Tung Chung and then waited in line for the cable car.

Despite the seemingly huge line, when we got to the very touristy "village" it wasn't crowded at all. The touristy part was worse as my sister bought those pictures they take of you on the cable car as a souvenir and redeemed her free gift in said village of more goofy pics of us with cgi backgrounds. I hate taking pictures, but she loves it.

After the whole picture taking, we head to the stairs and my sister just zooms up them - Ms. half-marathoner has no problem. I had to stop three times to catch my breath.

After all of those steps, I was starving, luckily they have that vegetarian lunch at the nearby Po Lin Monastery you can buy tickets near the bottom of the Big Buddha. It's a set menu and they just start piling the plates and pots on your table. No waiting more than 2 minutes. We were one of the few tables who ate all of the food. I ate about five bowls of rice and veggies. Man I was stuffed after all that! I can't imagine what was on the deluxe menu.

On the menu: Winter melon soup; bok choi, carrots and mushrooms; corn, peas, and soft tofu; Cucumber, celery, yellow bell pepper and hard tofu; deep fried spring rolls; jasmine rice and tea.

Well fed, we head over to visit some of the temples and looked at all the Buddhas. As we were leaving, we spot a small cattle family wandering around. My sister had to take a selfie with one. They basically ignored the people to graze.

Then it was back through the village where my sister bought more knick knacks at the shops. Finally back to the cable car and we head over to the outlet mall next to the subway station and check out the plastic covered fruit and vegetables at Taste.