FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA LAX-SYD-LAX AA73 / AA72 (17 Dec 2015)
View Single Post
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:21 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by marnold3
Strangely enough, the captain never came out and introduced himself to the first-class passengers so I presume he had more important things to worry about. I must say this is the first time I have been on an international flight on a 77W or 777 where the captain did not come out and greet the FC passengers.

Soon after, another FA came by and offered water, champagne, or OJ.

In my estimation, this flight will be one of AA’s premier international flights and I think they’re off to a good start with this inaugural effort.
I don't fly AA international F that often but over 25 years of flying AA, I don't ever recall the captain coming out to introduce themselves - why would they? Why would I want them to? Clearly, they do have "more important things to worry about".

Was the PDB actually (a) champagne and (b) served in a glass? Or was it some unidentified sparkling wine served in plastic? Nothing screams "THIS IS NOT FIRST CLASS" more than those dreadful plastic glasses AA insists on using.

We're flying LAX-MEL next month in QF J. We could have taken the LAX-SYD AA flight and then used SWUs to upgrade - obviously subject to availability but it's a RTW ticket that's changeable at will and we're time-rich these days (if cash-poor...) so probably not too impossible to find a day with upgrade space. We opted not to and to stick to QF J direct to MEL. From your description - and certainly from JDiver's comments - it sounds like we made the right call. Very disappointing that AA continued its usual mediocre service standards on this brand-new high-profile route.