FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - End of the Dollar Clamp - Tourist Experience discussion
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:42 pm
shonamac

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Prices are still set by supply and demand.
Maybe you should consider vacationing in Brazil instead
You are naive if you think that luxury hotels set their prices by supply and demand alone. Besides, currency factors do not affect business travel at all - and such business clientele is the bread and butter of better hotels. Ergo, they will see no reason to reduce their USD denominated rates.

And yes, the thought of indulging at a Brazilian churrascaria the next time I need a meat fix, did cross my mind

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
How is the exchange rate worse for tourists? It is pretty much what it was, and 40 to 50% better than if you were exchanging at the official rate.
Elementary. Earlier, you changed your USD100 bill at a cambio and got a 40% more ARS than at the bank. Loaded with that local currency you marched into your hotel and effectively got a 40% discount on the bill, which was converted from USD at the official rate. Similarly, ANY other expense, taxi ride or restaurant, had a de facto discount. Now, with no premium, you pay the same posted price. Worse, most restaurants willl probably see this as an excuse to raise their prices.

I better go brush up my non-existent Portuguese!

Originally Posted by mccomb
This is not entirely true - hotels are priced in USD. They had to accept payment in pesos at the official rate, so the smart tourist could exchange at the blue rate and pay at the official rate saving themselves 40% or more. With no more blue, those rates are effectively more expensive.

By that measure it's worse for tourists.

A stay at the Park Hyatt in January is U$S 540. Yesterday I could have paid U$S 378 with the blue. Today it's $540.
Exactamente

Last edited by shonamac; Dec 17, 2015 at 10:52 pm