FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waldorf Astoria Beijing {CHN}
View Single Post
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:30 am
SPBanker
Ambassador: Finnair Plus

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
My second day here. Echo much of what trueblue was saying. Excellent hotel, really great service.

I was also told I had been upgraded because of my HH Gold status, which was kinda funny given I am HH Diamond. Still, saw no reason to raise any fuss, I was allowed to check in 10.30 am, which was really welcome after my flight.

I found pool to be very nice size for a hotel, and all in all the hard product was mostly superb. But what really sets this place apart from Conrad or Beijing Waifujing is service. Really a step (or two) above those places. First night the waiters in Peacock Alley learned my first name and kept using it throughout my stay, concierge was helpful and proactive, and even GM came to greet me when I was nursing my wine glass waiting for my guests to arrive (he had some meeting in the bar). Nice chap, missed (Norway) my home country (Finland) by small margin. But since one of the waiters thought I was from Russia, on average they got it right, I'd say.

Coupled with cheap year-end sale price (same as Conrad).. No brainer.

Some pics of the room. I think this is the standard room, but it is very nice.

One of the side cabinets was missing something..

That red and white thing on the right... My swimming trunks.

Let me say that Internet access is currently really bad, worse than ever during my 12 or so years coming to China. The hotel even gives you a letter apologizing for "connectivity issues in Beijing area". Don't worry, we know it is Big Brother Xi...