FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Wiki post / wikipost questions, discussion, issues (consolidated)
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:51 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Wikipost FAQ

Some members have expressed concerns about Wikiposts, their purpose and how to "turn them off" so they won't see them. The FAQ in the Wikipost above has been written to inform about their purpose, provide instructions on how to start, edit and eliminate them from viewing. This extract has been privided in post form forbthose using the mobile skin or who have Wikiposts turned off.

Q. What display modes are offered for Wikiposts?

There are three modes of wiki post display: (c/o IBobi)
1. "Summary view" (default) -- this shows the top of the wikipost only.

2. Full display (when you click "Click here to display full Wiki") -- this shows the whole Wikipost.

3. Hidden (when you click the "-" sign at the top right) -- reduces this and ALL Wikiposts on FT to a narrow blue bar that says "Wikipost", until you click the "+" on one of them again, which will return them to default view.
Wikipost FAQs (EXTRACT, for those turning off wiki post function)

Q. What is a Wikipost?

It is content that appears at the top of a thread, usually used to summarize important information in multi-page threads: "This is a community-maintained wikipost containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wikipost once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts." (Written at the top of every wiki post.)

Q. Why are so many threads with Wikiposts concentrated on the front pages?

The threads with the most in-demand information are often those with complicated content - AAdvantage changes, MileSAAver awards, etc. These are the threads most likely to have wiki posts summarizing key points.

Q. How / why did they come about?

Wiki posts came about after many (members and TalkBoard) requests to Internet Brands and a lot of forethought and initial Beta testing. They are considered a valuable asset to FlyerTalk, a viable and "closer" alternative to maintaining an off site, separate wiki.

Q. Can I see a listing of Wikiposts?

Yes. Up in the dark blue navigation bar, a little below the FlyerTalk logo, it says "Flyertalk [sic, should be a capital T] Wiki." Click that and then "Show all Wiki [sic, should be plural]" from the sub-menu. (Thanks to jackal.)

Q. What do I do if I don't want to see / read the Wikiposts?

Just continue browsing normally. The full Wikipost will only be displayed if you click the link to read it. Ignore Wikiposts if you don't want to read the information therein.

Q. What do I do if I feel there are too darn many Wikiposts?

You can go to the "Wikipost" blue menu bar at the top of a thread page and click on the "-" sign at the right end of the bar, which will minimize all Wikiposts; you never have to see a Wikipost again. Wikiposts never have to intrude on your reading of FlyerTalk. (You can turn Wikiposts "on" by clicking the "+" in the same menu bar when you wish.)

Alternately, In your FT Profile, look at Your Control Panel, Edit Options. Toward the bottom of the page you'll see
Wikipost Hide All

Hide all Wiki Posts in Threads
[] Hide all Wikiposts
Be sure that option is turned on to eliminate seeing Wikiposts, off to reveal them once more.

Q. What are the alternatives to wiki posts in a large forum?
1) Multiple (dozens or even more) threads with members having to search them all for answers, or start a new one out of frustration, assuring information fragmentation and dispersion.

2) Mega threads with hundreds of posts to sort through for answers.

With thanks to wetrat0.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 17, 2016 at 8:12 am Reason: Add extract from Wikipost for those with Wikiposts suppressed