FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Denali Shuttle Buses: How crowded?
View Single Post
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:25 pm
CDKing
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by fti
I hop off and on the shuttle buses a lot. Buses stop for wildlife but usually only spend +-5 minutes at each wildlife stop. Two weeks ago I rode shuttle buses for 2 hours back and forth to get a closer look and photos of a mama bear and her three spring cubs - something you could never do on a tour bus.
That's the one thing I did wrong on my last trip at the end of August. I went out 2 days in a row on the Eielson Shuttle. Day 1 was snowy for most of the day. I did the run out to the visitor center walked around in a foot of snow and came back staying on the bus as it wasn't worth stepping outside.

The second day it was nicer weather but the road was closed past mile 2 since it had continued to snow over night. I was scheduled on the first bus of the morning (i think it was 5 or 6 something) and we didn't get out until after 10 and were held back a few times. I had thought since all the buses were delayed that they would have filled every seat but that was not the case. They did leave spots empty as there are people camping out there so they left room for people to come back.

We only made it out to Toklat and were unable to continue due to road condition (thankfully as there was a bear inbound and we spent a ton of time with close ups). On the way back, I did end up getting off the bus so i could walk along the road from Polycrome to Sable pass. I only wish i grabbed a bus going back towards Eielson for another attempt. When i returned the next day to catch my shuttle back to Anchorage they were talking about how the road had opened back up and the Mountain came out. Luckily on the shuttle ride back to anchorage we stopped at McKinley View hotel with an amazing view of the mountain.

I guess I should add Mountian was only out 2 of my 3 trips to Denali area. Ive been to the park itself twice but never seen the mountian from inside teh park only outside. It might be different because its only been end of season ive been in the park. Id love to go in the Summer. One of my managers was there for 3 days and it was completely out all 3 days