FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:10 pm
LaphroaigAndRibeye

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It will be the system catching the permitted routing of the requested award and noting that it is not in compliance with EY's routing rules

For AUH-AUS, the following is a permitted routing

AUH-CHI/DFW-AA/B6/EY-AUS

so connecting in DFW from EY to AA would be allowed as a single award

For AKL-AUH,

AKL-EY/NZ/VA-BNE/MEL/PER/SYD-AUH

is the permitted routing via BNE. For EY's fares, AKL-BNE would need to be on VA or NZ , neither of which are partners of AA
Thanks for that insight Dave! I have a question about this that may impact the booking I was planning to confirm this afternoon. Based on your post above, is DFW the only permitted routing for getting to AUS?

I actually live in DFW, but set AUS as my destination because I thought it would give me flexibility to change my routing to AUH-JFK-AUS if last-minute Apartment spaces opens up on the A30 for AUH-JFK.

If it isn't going to be possible to change to AUH-JFK-AUS then that nips that plan in the bud.

I don't suppose they'd allow an AUH-JFK-DFW either, since they also fly AUH-DFW direct...

Thanks!

EDIT: Poked around on KVS Tool and think I answered my own question... it looks like EY does publish EY/AA fares that are both AUH-JFK-AUS and even AUH-JFK-DFW.

I don't know that they'd let me book AUH-JFK-DFW if there's an AUH-DFW if I gave the reason that AUH-DFW doesn't have the plane I want but probably safer to just stick to AUH-DFW/JFK-AUS.

Last edited by LaphroaigAndRibeye; Dec 13, 2015 at 1:18 pm Reason: New info