FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:53 pm
Indelaware

Originally Posted by jlemon
39-B & 39-C. Ah, both incorrect.....and here's a hint: the northernmost and easternmost destinations served by Golden Gate Airlines were not in Idaho but were actually in different states.
I believe that Boise would be correct in early 1981. However, after the merger with Swift Aire, Golden Gate expanded to new cities not previously served by either airline.

The easternmost would have been probably Grand Junction, CO. I guess that the northern most would have been served from Boise which means that it would likely have been either Spokane, WA or Pendelton, OR. (I'm quite certain they never go to Seattle or Portland). I'll go with Pendelton, just because it is smaller.

Like many airlines, over aggressive expansion led Golden Gate to fail.

Originally Posted by jrl767
let's start with the big obvious ones
  1. Los Angeles (LAX)
  2. San Francisco (SFO)
  3. San Jose (SJC)
  4. Oakland (OAK)
  5. Sacramento (SMF)

some cities that saw several daily UA 737s (and even the occasional DC-8) in the mid-1970s
  6. Bakersfield (BFL)
  7. Fresno (FAT)
  8. Merced (MCE)
  9. Modesto (MOD)
  10. Stockton (SCK)

these just make sense from a "fill-in-the-blanks" standpoint as UA used to operate a number of flights to/from LAX and SFO
  11. Santa Barbara (SBA)
  12. Monterey (MRY)

and these provide some coverage in the northern part of the state
  13. Redding (RDD)
  14. Eureka (ACV)

as for #15, Crescent City (CEC) has had on-and-off commercial service over the years, and I know at least one daily "Oregon Trail" milk run in each direction served Visalia (VIS) ... I'll speculate CEC for now
I seem to recall that Golden Gate served Lake Tahoo (TVL) which I thought was odd as they also flew to Reno.

I think the total count of 15 cities might be a bit low if one counts cities served by Golden Gate at any point in 1981.

Last edited by Indelaware; Dec 13, 2015 at 1:02 pm