FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ID Checks between Sweden and Danish borders
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:09 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho
Those people who walked out were doing something illegal because they haven't been registered as "refugee/asylum seekers" - and therefore they don't have a right to walk around freely in Sweden.

Now Sweden is going for another extreme: imposing permanent ID check for all trains coming from DK. It's amazing how they can do something like that - what's the point of freedom of movement? Now DSB threatens to stop all train traffic across the bridge if Sweden wants to burden them for checking ID on all passengers. This is absolutely crazy and I guess they will also put permanent ID check by the bridge.
You don't need to be a government-registered refugee to be a refugee entitled to the legal protections to which Sweden, along with much of Europe, has contracted itself. Amongst the legal protections for refugees, registered or not: presence without a visa, even while moving, is not a crime. There is a reason the Swedish authorities want to push the ID checking and denial of entry/transport burden onto others, private parties or otherwise.

I'm no fan of the border control checks being implemented like this. Fortunately, I have alternatives; unfortunately, most of them cost me more money and time.

I could go into an extensive discussion about due criticisms of the Swedish justice system and police operations, but that really doesn't have much to do with my crossing this border.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 9, 2015 at 3:14 am