FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airline Only Allows Forward Facing Car Seats - What To Do With Our 7 Month Old?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:15 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by robe0341
The seat won't be exactly the same forward facing vs rear facing. Rear facing is a much more reclined angle than forward facing. That makes a difference when a child is on the cusp of being able to sit up on their own.

I understand that he can "fit" in the seat. The first part of the question is, with the more upright position, will a 7 month find it uncomfortable if he is on the verge of sitting on his own at that point?
IME the better a kid can sit on their own, the less reclined they want to be. Mine wanted to sit up and see the world, not recline, as soon as he learned to sit up. By 7 months, most babies can sit up independently.

Originally Posted by robe0341
You say "automobile guidelines" as if the car seat comes with a separate set of guidelines for other usages. Is there another set of car seat guidelines that I missed?
No, usually the only guidelines that come with the seat are for cars. But it isn't valid to assume that those dictate the only ways in which the seat can be safely used. The physical forces that a child is subject to in an auto are not the same as those on a plane. Somewhere I've seen an info sheet written for air travel. Might have been the American Academy of Pediatrics or a government website on child safety.