FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ID Checks between Sweden and Danish borders
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:23 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho
I watched the procedure on the Danish news after the border control (they followed an Afghan saying that he'd like a new life in Europe): if you don't have a passport, the Swedish police will take you to a coach where you'll be shipped to Migrationsverket's centre in Malmo.

Where you go after you get on the bus is nobody's business - saw on the Swedish newspaper that some took a taxi to Emporia to shop (it's amazing that they know) and some said they don't want to stay in the centre. The police said their job is to hand the asylum applicants to that centre and that is. There are still thousands of them running free within Sweden.
That was the "old" way. The functioning is a bit different now.

Refugees aren't to be treated like prisoners, so free to move they should be in conformance with the laws as they are.

Even poor villagers in the hills of Myanmar/Burma have smart phones that can help them find out where to shop for groceries. So Afghans, Iraqis, Syrians and East Africans doing the same isn't surprising. The closest grocery stores to a major refugee processing/holding center is in the Emporia shopping; and the walking distance from the refugee center to the Emporia shopping mall is a handful of minutes. The ones coming there from further away places have been getting free taxi rides sometimes.

Eating grocery store food is cheaper than going to eat at restaurants -- it is relatively high cost Scandinavia after all.

I've not seen or heard of any passport checks at the largest shopping center within 15 minutes of CPH airport. I'm not sure the police have the legal authority to do that. But I need my passport when crossing the bridge, which isn't new for me. What is new is having to carry my passport anywhere around southern Sweden for intra-Sweden trips because of the haphazard way of ID checking.