FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non-resort properties charging a 'Facilities Fee'
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:59 pm
KENNECTED
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ccoulson
Anybody else getting perturbed by the proliferation of "Facilities Fees" Starwood has started imposing at some of their urban properties? This no doubt grew out of the "Resort Fees" that started popping up about 15 years - which this charge was questionable it did provide some benefits like beach chairs/cabanas. golf club valet, valet parking, etc.

But this fee has no business in urban properties, particularly for what you get - even more particularly as a Platinum SPG member. I recently booked a "staycation" at the Park Central SF (looking forward to seeing the rebranding from the Westin) and am being hit with a $25 facilities fee. For BS things like internet (free to Gold/Plat members), bottled water (free to Gold/Plat members), gym access (should be free), in room coffee (REALLY???). And some more BS stuff they claim to be "a $100 value."

These fees leave patrons feeling "nickeled and dimed" and worse - it diminishes the value of the SPG Loyalty Program. At a minimum, they should programmatically waive this fee for their most loyal guests as they have figured how to do with internet (usually).
You Starwood, but does startwood on the property or properties you've posted?

Is this a Starwood or property ownership issue? Is there something in management (franchise) agreements that allow or forbid this practice? I think there a lot of variables.

Personally, I don't think this has a thing to do with SPG or relates to it.