FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Domestic upgrade request at the lounge
View Single Post
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:07 pm
seat_4D

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by soulighter
Hi all, just want to hear what your experiences are when requesting upgrade at the Qantas lounge for domestic flights.

i fly mostly from Cairns so I can only speak of my experience from here. I know that from experience, when I rock up to the lounge here and ask for a points upgrade to business, more than 9 out of 10 times there is an unwillingness to even look at the computer to check, and the default answer is just about always "oh that route is usually busy and business is always full". So over time I learn to look at the business seats availability before I show up, so I can tell them I know there are seats available, and only then they will begrudgingly look at the system for me.

so today I did the same, but the dragon lady behind the desk told me there are seats available (just by looking at a piece of paper next to her) but only if I pay for the upgrade and couldn't use points because they are different class tickets, which I never heard of before. Just wondering for people in the know, is there any truth to this? She was on a social call and I thought it was more a case of her wanting to get back to the call rather than do her job which was to help customer.

oh, before anyone asks, I usually try to request upgrade before I fly, but sometimes I only book the flights with less than 24hours before flight time so couldn't request it online.

Would love to hear your experience. Thank you.
If they have a chair available my success rate on requesting an upgrade is 100%. If they say they can not guarantee catering my selection of the upgrade drops back to 0%.

If they have no chair available my success rate is 0%.

While I have had 1 OP Up in the past 10 years on Qantas they are happy, willing and able to take my points to upgrade

(The above obviously relates to DOM only)