FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I be hesitant to book an award or upgrades for family / friends?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:25 am
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hartmann
I am helping some friends plan a service trip to India and was going to purchase a few coach tickets for them using my miles, but reading some of the recent threads about accounts being closed has me worried. ....
I would have zero concern. One, if this was a common issue we would be seeing dozens of these everyday. Two, the occasional case we do hear about always seems to have some extra twist.

If you wish, something I do in what could have been considered problematic, is call or at an airport have an agent place a comment in the PNR concern the nature of the trip.

I do family members with a different ethnicity last name multiple times a time. I have done complete unrelated individuals, that was to support a charitable clause -- a few times.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
The only concern you should have is that you'll want to contact United and the operating carrier every week to ensure that the itinerary has not been canceled. And you'll need to ramp that up to "once a day" in the week before travel......
This caution is probably unneeded but if it makes you feel better ... its your choice / time.