FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starwood: "Marriott and Starwood stockholders approve merger"
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:27 am
Cargojon

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by pdx1M
I have never really understood the MR points for lifetime deal. All I can figure is that it is a result of the much larger number of low end properties in the Marriott stable such that they want to make sure that you don't have folks making lifetime on the same number of Springhill stays as JW stays. Coming from the Starwood side I would guess that I probably have easily 750K lifetime Starwood points from all my stays and card earning - probably more. Even at a 1:2.5 conversion that would nearly meet the MR LT requirements. Of course my primary hope is that they just grandfather LT SPG Plats to LT MR Plat. However, even if they simply added the stays from the 2 programs and converted LT SPG points at as little as 1:2.5 I be nearly meeting the LT MR Plat requirements (be short a bit on total stays but doable probably by the time a real merger happened. So as long as they don't simply drop all the SPG history, which would defeat at least one point of doing the merger in the first place - namely customer acquisition - I should be ok. Of course I do expect the total benefit package of MR to be a net loss to that of SPG but such is life.
I admit I am silently hoping that this ends up having MR eliminate the points requirement from the LT benefits equation. Probably a pipe dream, but one can hope..........