FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Denied by UA Insider]: BIG changes to Million Miler program imminent
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:36 pm
Tchiowa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RumorMill
Recently had a friend book 3 unnecessary transcons for December with overnight returns. When I asked him why, he said that he was ~10k short of 2 million miles and wanted to make it by the end of the year so that he could have Lifetime Plat before they changed the program. Evidently, a friend of his in Willis Tower keyed him into the following changes, and this is what he speculated was going to be happening sometime next year:

• All Million Miler tiers will move down one "notch." Example: 1 Million will now be Silver for life, 2 million=Gold, etc.
  • There will no longer be a way to get GS for life. 4 million will be 1k for life, with no 5 million tier. However, certain "high-revenue" flyers will be eligible for lifetime GS by invitation.
  • GPUs and RPUs will no longer be given to Lifetime 1Ks and Plats if they have not met the annual PQM quota for their respective lifetime status level in a given year. Example: Someone who is lifetime 1k will not receive any instruments if they only get 50k PQMs in the year, if they fly 75K PQMs they will receive 2 RPUs, and if they fly 100k+ PQMs only then will they receive 6 GPUs.
  • People who made a certain lifetime status before the effective date of the change will be grandfathered.
  • The companion status benefit will remain the same.

Seems like a pretty big devaluation to me , but when looking at Delta and American's programs (see links below), it looks like United was offering more than them to begin with, and this change just brings UA in line with what Delta and American are currently offering.

Thoughts?
A number of years ago I had been Solitaire in SQ for nearly 15 years. 2/3 my way to lifetime Solitaire. Then they dropped the lifetime program altogether. End of incentive for me to take inconvenient flights in order to stay on SQ. Loved the airline, but haven't been on them more than half a dozen time in the past 10 years because of that.