FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bellagio, Vegas. Learn from my mistakes.
View Single Post
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:18 pm
scented

Originally Posted by Cardboard55
I enjoy the occasional trip to Vegas, but it seems that "luxury" has a very different definition there, and not in a good way. "Fine dining" as well. Things that would never fly for luxury hotels or fine dining restaurants in the rest of the world are just par for the course in Las Vegas...
I agree to some extent, especially regarding the hotel scene there. Don't know what your reservations are when it comes to fine dining? I think Vegas has very decent cuisine, and something for everyone. I have had some amazing dinner in Vegas - Joel Robuchon, Picasso, Guy Savoy and Twist by Pierre Gagnaire come to my mind. All of the upper end 'chains' are there too, namely anything Wolfang Puck, Nobu obviously, Hakkasan... It is not Tokyo, Hong Kong or Paris, but I'd just fly to Vegas for dining, it is that good. Those cute little restaurants like in Paris that serve amazing food, have a Michelin star or two, hardly known, discreet, with the highest level of service and maybe an owner that is present and hands-on... never going to happen there, Vegas is and always will be endlessly commercial.

Hotel-wise bit more difficult, but you have to take the town for what it is. Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons and some suites at the Wynn come closest to our, if I understand you correctly, definition of luxury.

Las Vegas is not my idea of the perfect vacation, or the perfect hotel, but it works astoundingly well if you can play the game. True, you are nothing there (and treated accordingly) if you are not a high roller or of some other importance to the 3 or 4 big corporations. But lately much has changed and moved away from gaming and gambling alone. And I give Steve Wynn a lot of credit for that, because he has always been so passionate about non-gaming revenue and has pushed the boundaries over and over again with his resorts. At the time, Bellagio was groundbreaking and even today I enjoy the villas at the Wynn, despite the size of the entire operation. He is a true visionary and has brought world-class entertainment there.

Interestingly, the typical Vegas clientele is the same you would find in the Bahamas or in any of the Kerzner hotels. Very show-y. Plus today everything is about the nightclubs anyway, which are the new gambling.

Last edited by scented; Nov 30, 2015 at 5:24 pm