FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:07 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by D582
But from my experiences people seemed to take to EMV (with PIN) a lot quicker than the US. I still see people struggle on a daily basis on how to insert the card and when to remove it even when the cashier gives them instructions. I hear tons of complaints about transaction speed (and it is much slower in the US than it needs to be). I've even seen someone present a card with a hole punched through the chip because they claimed they didn't want the government to track them. Education in the US on how to use the cards properly seems to ineffective or nonexistent. And while many merchants in the US seem to hav favoured the same type of terminal (MX900 series), because they all customise the terminals so much the UI and UX varies so much from store to store that it makes it can make it incredibly confusing for people. I cannot recall any of these things happening in Canada on any sort of large scale basis. Perhaps I have a jaded opinion though
Considering we've been using magstripes for 50 years or so, I'm not surprised there's a learning curve. We definitely could have done a lot better with training though. Having more places with EMV enabled from the outset would have helped too; 500,000 locations with it enabled out of 12 million or so is nowhere near where we should have been at this point in the migration.

Re: UI/UX -- I find the experience is generally very similar store to store if you're using a credit card. Debit cards are where you get a lot of the weirdness.