FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Europe - JNB...ugh Ethiopian or Egyptian?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:41 am
Reiner1271

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K, DL SkyMiles Plat, Avis Preferred, National Emerald, Hertz Gold
ET and TK are very good.

Hi pduck01,

Flying ET is rather comfy, especially on their B777-200LR. The Lounge in ADD is always full, and it's below LH or TK standards. TK in general is very good, so I disagree they being zilch. They offer one of the best lounges in the world. LH's Senator Lounges in FRA as well as in MUC are good, but then the flight won't be, should you consider flying in economy class... SA is good, their flights usually only half full so you should have plenty of space and it's rather quiet on board their A340-600s. I've not flown on Egypt Air by now... As I said, Ethiopian is a good option to fly, though their planes sometimes look somewhat messy - even the seats in the B787s... And South African brings you good comfort with the goodies of LH's Senator Lounges. Best in comfort on the longhaul flights as well as for it's lounges is Turkish Airlines. I have flown roughly 465000 miles this year, 265000 of which on Star Alliance, I hold UA's 1K status...

Originally Posted by pduck01
Hi - planning family travel next summer and the Europe - JNB leg still isn't cooperating. Just hit platinum on UA so I will book something and hope something else opens up...but the current choice (LH, LX, TK, SA all zilch) yields the option of Egyptian Air or Ethiopian. I'm leaning towards the former as a layover in Addis doesn't sound pleasant. Thought please?