FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:31 am
D582

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tmiw
Really lots of issues or just reported on more often here?

Also VEPS can be used for chip transactions, not just magstripe. The only restrictions are that the transaction be run online and that PIN be asked for on Canadian cards for domestic transactions.
One of the biggest consumer-facing issues in Canada was Amex acceptance due to the fact that Amex started sending out EMV cards without working with the payment processors to get their terminals updated and certified to support it.

But from my experiences people seemed to take to EMV (with PIN) a lot quicker than the US. I still see people struggle on a daily basis on how to insert the card and when to remove it even when the cashier gives them instructions. I hear tons of complaints about transaction speed (and it is much slower in the US than it needs to be). I've even seen someone present a card with a hole punched through the chip because they claimed they didn't want the government to track them. Education in the US on how to use the cards properly seems to ineffective or nonexistent. And while many merchants in the US seem to hav favoured the same type of terminal (MX900 series), because they all customise the terminals so much the UI and UX varies so much from store to store that it makes it can make it incredibly confusing for people. I cannot recall any of these things happening in Canada on any sort of large scale basis. Perhaps I have a jaded opinion though

Regarding VEPS, although in some places it seems to be used for chip transactions, in Canada the program was only ever used for mag stripe.