FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can DL, UA and AA really call them "miles" anymore?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:12 pm
dvs7310

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mr. Breakfast
I remember in the 70's, during the gas crisis, small fuel efficient cars were selling at a premium over the sticker price. There was actually a line item called ADP, and it was tacked on to the bottom line. I discovered later that it stood for "Additional Dealer Profit".
Lol, I remember the same thing during the more recent fuel spike, around '03 or '04' when it started? I was working for Volkswagen (America) at the time and many dealerships marked up the diesel VWs with a few grand ADP and at the time there was still a quota as to how many VW could import as a ratio to gasoline versions (EPA B.S.) so supply was very short compared to demand.

Back to the OP, I think continuing with the term miles is fine because (at least for now) status is still earned at a % of miles flown and most overseas partners still are using miles for both redeemable and status miles. For the real frequent flyer the status miles are probably worth significantly more than the redeemable points/miles. That's precisely why Mileage Plus sells extra miles fairly reasonably in conjunction with a ticket but the extra PQM booster is at an exorbitant rate.