FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:42 am
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by drvannostren
... or maybe AA style with that annoying system of points vs miles vs segments....
As of Jan 1 2016, AA will no longer have the EQPs (points) to deal with. It's miles or segments and dollars, and then status. I actually like part 2 of the change, later in the year, where you will also earn based on your AA status. I also think their approach to more EQMs per fare on American-marketed flights is more flexible than what AC is doing.

And yes, before someone here throws a fit, I am well aware that AC is not AA. They do not operate in the same universe or serve the same markets and so on.

I just find it interesting to see how the FFPs have evolved and I also agree with those who think these programs will either disappear completely and/or become a single-carrier program based on spend. I also think airlines would be more than happy to do away with these things but we all know, no one wants to blink first. Perhaps the various bean-counters and legal teams have not yet figured out how to get out from under the weight of the millions+++ of miles floating around out there in members' accounts. IMHO.

Still, while your miles may not be bananas and won't "go bad" soon, they are not going to be worth more (or get you more) tomorrow than they did yesterday.