FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Comair PLZ - JNB misconnect protection on separate PNR?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:28 am
diamond club freeloader

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by michalis
I have a return CW reward flight from JNB to LHR next easter and was looking to book a Comair flight from PLZ to get to JNB on the same day.

There are 2 options that I am considering.
The first leaves PLZ at 10:35 and reaches JNB at 12:30.
Now I enjoy a lounge as much as the next person, but 6 hours in a lounge is a bit excessive.

Ideally i would prefer to take the later flight that leaves PLZ at 13:30 and reaches JNB at 15:05. The flight from JNB to LHR is at 19:20 so even if there is a long-ish delay I should be fine, my issue is cancelling the flight.

In case the flight gets delayed/cancelled is there any protection for the return flight? or I am on my own? Anyone had prior experiences with Comair/BA handling potential misconnects?

I would be less worried if there was another flight that would land me in JNB before my flight to LHR in case of a delay, but there seems to be no such option.

I had a similar dilemma for a trip after Christmas. In the end I settled for a 2.5hr connection - though mine is the CPT-JNB route so lots of flights each day.

I think it's fair to say that there is no entitlement to protection, but given the comair/BA relationship, there are anecdotal reports of effective protection - though usually with an int-dom connection.

Ultimately if you have taken reasonable care, as you have, travel isurance is your protection. That's my angle for my own trip anyhow!

Best of luck, and enjoy the trip.

^