FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - *G vs Premier Silver upgrade
View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:13 pm
acmys

Originally Posted by begemot
Hi FT!

My family (2 adults, 1 child, 1 infant in lap) will fly from NYC-CUN in mid December. I have *G with Miles & More because I fly Swiss often. I have Premier Silver because of my Marriott status. No one else in my family has any status. I know little about UA but I did read this Premier Silver upgrades are only valid for the silver and 1 companion (and we are 3+infant).

Do I understand it correctly? If so I guess there is no benefit to using my Premier silver UA status, probably better to use my *G status right?

Thanks!

Begemot
With Premier Silver the upgrade can be for the member and one companion, correct. If you want to go for the CPU you'll have to split two people off the reservation.

I'm not sure why you would use *G since the benefits are less than/equal to those from Premier Silver, with the exception of lounge access at EWR (which is negligible considering the UCs are mediocre and you would only be able to bring in 1 of the 3 other passengers - the infant counts).

With Premier Silver you get a chance at J (your flights seem like one of the times when Silver has a better chance), or at least E+ for two people. If you don't want to split up your family, then go for the program where the miles would matter more.