FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Toilet talk: A380's economy and Dubai airport
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:11 am
eternaltransit

Originally Posted by saneman
So I am taking Emirates from JFK to HYD and have a layover in Dubai for 7 hours. The schedule is such that I fear I might have to go at some point (#2, i mean). Yep, I am one of those finicky people who plans his toilet schedule around an international trip, especially to Asia. (except for Japan where the toilets were fine in the airport).

Are the A380 bathrooms any better than the ones in the regular Emirates aircrafts? I took Emirates once a long time ago and while the main cabin was fine, the bathrooms were no better than other airlines and I don't know if it is the demographics, but the cleanliness of it was even worse than my other international flights to asia going via a European layover.

But let's say I can hold it long enough to go at Dubai airport. What I loved about Heathrow airport was you could find bathrooms with fairly spacious stalls and fairly clean. How are the Dubai airport bathrooms when it comes to western style toilets in terms of cleanliness and smell? If I pay for a Mahraba Lounge, I see there is a description paying extra for showers. Are there toilets available in that lounge too? Short of paying for ahotel room, what are my best chances for using a clean toilet in Dubai airport.

Or do I use my 7 hour layover time to go into the city , go to some random good hotel, and use their public restroom?
You will not have an A380 between DXB and HYD, so I assume your question refers specifically to the JFK-DXB sector, in Y, as if you were in J and F you would have access to the lounges in DXB which have higher quality public restrooms than the rest of the terminal.

The lavatories are perfectly adequate on board and standard for a modern aircraft, so barring any accidents by pax or unreasonably high expectations on your part for cleanliness, you should have no problem.

If you really don't want to use the airside toilets at DXB, and if you are a visa-free national, if you exit landside, there are some adequate lavatories at T3 arrivals - then you can pop upstairs and go back airside - immigration won't care you only spent a few minutes in the UAE - or go into the city for sightseeing etc. If it's in the evening, I'd recommend that anyway given 7 hours transit at DXB is going to be extremely boring.