FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LAX to LIM with BA or AA?
View Single Post
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:39 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Lan lax lim in J is much better (fully flat seats, large entertainment screen, ok service on board)

The best you could get with AA is a slanted flat seat, a tablet for entertainment (on 763s) and hit or miss service. AA does not serve DFW-LIM with ther newer nicer places.
First, the opposite of slanted flat seat is horizontal flat seat, not "fully" flat seat. The word "flat" is about straightness, not about angle. The words "slanted" and "horizontal" are the words about angle.

Second, it's not true that LAN LAX-LIM in J will definitely give you horizontal flat seats!

Maybe on the new 787 they do, but definitely on the old 763 (767-300) that they use for the overnight 2605 LAX-LIM and evening 2604 LIM-LAX return they don't, it's just as slanted as on AA 763s.

And, yes, the 763 IFE screen is bigger, but it's not even "standard' resolution (forget about HD), it's worse than a good tube TV. Ie, it's a nice big screen for a 10-year old IFE system, but it still looks like a 10-year-old IFE system on the 763. AA 763, on the other hand, never had in-seat IFE, so their solution was to hand out tablets in J, and the tablets, being portable, were updated every few years. So the IFE in 763 J (assuming it's a flight where they hand out tablets) is actually much better picture quality than the built-in IFE on the LAN 763s.

Having said that, I like the selection of movies (less junk movies, more better quality movies) better than I've seen on AA lately (at least on AA's domestic flights that have IFE). However, I found it a bit annoying that even when I specified English as the language, it still gave me Spanish subtitles, and I couldn't find a way to turn them off. (It was mostly annoying because I was watching a movie that had a text intro and the subtitles covered up some of the text intro!)

On the other hand, the Map was not up to the quality of other airlines. No info other than speed, altitute, and outside temperature. No arrival estimates, etc, so it was harder to gauge how long a movie to pick if I didn't have the estimate of when we would land.

(I just flew LAN 2605 LAX-LIM-EZE in J the other day.)

Anyway, my main point is: If you're going to describe how a LAN flight is in J, please specify the plane type. There's obviously a mix of old and new planes at LAN, just as there is at AA.

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 27, 2015 at 8:47 am