FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Montage Kapalua vs FS Maui vs Andaz Maui: pros and cons for each?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:32 am
Jthomas9999

Happy w/ Andaz

Stayed at Andaz last year. First room offered was awful, parking lot view, so I complained and said I'd leave hotel if that was the best they would do. Quickly moved to view room, and loved our experience. Great large pool complex, but also a quiet adult pool - separate and serene. In addition to hotel, other good dining options close by including Monkeypod (happy hour awesome and best deal around).

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Hello fellow FTers!

My UNC Tar Heels will be playing in the Maui Invitational Basketball Tournament over the week of Thanksgiving 2016 at the Lahaina Civic Center.

I've already made a speculative AAA booking at the Andaz Maui in an ocean view suite. Garden view rooms were available on points, but I wanted to have some space. The Andaz is the only property that allowed me to book so far in advance, so I figured I'd hold the Andaz reservation while I see what becomes available at the Montage or FS. I'm SPG Plat, but I can't stomach the Westin or Sheraton on Maui.

I know Montage Kapalua is most convenient to Lahaina for the games, but I don't want to pick a hotel entirely based on that--since my husband likely won't even go with me to the games. I'd been to the Kapalua Bay Hotels over a decade ago when they were part of the Luxury Collection, and we loved Kapalua--but that hotel no longer exists. We weren't as impressed with the RC at the time, which since has been turned into the Montage. But many people seem very impressed with the Montage.

I also know that many people really love the FS Maui, including some very good friends of ours who stay there every Thanksgiving. If the FS Maui is anything like the FS Hualalai, though, it's possible I won't even be able to make a booking over the many returning guests over such a holiday week. At least the Andaz is super close if our friends stay at the FS as usual.

Can frequent guests or those who know these 3 properties give me the pros and cons for these properties? Price isn't a problem, but we do tend to think with cost/benefit in mind. Just because we can afford something doesn't mean we think it's worth it. Location is secondary, since I don't mind using a rental car to go to Lahaina for the games. We've never before been to the Wailea area of Maui, but we loved the Kapalua area the last time we visited.

Thanks!