FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TR: A never ending trip
View Single Post
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:39 am
valdor

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
TR: A never ending trip

This is going to be a very different trip report. It will cover a trip that started nearly four years ago and that is nowhere near it's ending. This is because I'm a perpetual traveler and I'm going to post here on a regular basis about what it's like to live this lifestyle. The challenges, the anecdotes, the wow moments and of course the hotels/flights/trains.

First of all, let me introduce myself. I'm Simon and I'm from YUL. I've been traveling the world on a non-stop basis for nearly four years. If you had asked me five years ago what were my plans for the future, I'd have answered: graduate, get an office job and start saving for a house. Didn't happened that way though and it's all because of a radio show I listened to back then. They ran an episode about the five flag theory and let's just say it had a profound impact on me.

For those who haven't heard of it, it basically goes like this: you are the citizen of one country (flag one), you are the resident of another country (flag two), you own a business in another country (flag three), you bank in another country (flag four) and you live in any countries that isn't one of your other flags (flag five).

If done right, you can eliminate most of your tax burden legally but there is one caveat: you have to keep traveling in order to avoid becoming a tax resident in any country (other than flag two). That's why it's also sometimes referred to as the perpetual traveler theory.

Going back to my story, the idea that I could travel and work at the same time completely blew my mind. Not to mention the tax savings and the fact that I wouldn't have to live through another cold winter! I immediately started preparing and a few months later I graduated from uni and found myself on a plane going to SIN. The first of a very long list of one-way flights.

A lot has happened since I got on that plane. I've been to many places. I've built multiple businesses, one of them completely in Mandarin. I also have my fair share of Flyertalk accomplishments that I will talk about in my future posts.

Anyway I hope you will enjoy reading my TR!

Last edited by valdor; Dec 17, 2015 at 10:47 pm