FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help with Award Booking to VCE
View Single Post
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:05 pm
bmwe92fan

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by OliverB
Thanks everyone - my wife is pushing me to be thrifty and just book the Economy Saver Award so that we can cover our return right away on miles, but I'll discuss all of your points with her tomorrow morning and make a decision.

And I hear ya about 10 days being long for Venice; we've gotten a lot of that when discussing our trip. The thing is, it's costing us nothing and we're booked in a suite at the Gritti Palace, so I envision a very relaxing 10 nights wandering the city, getting lost in the maze of alleys and side streets, the usual museum tours (particularly excited about Peggy Guggenheim!), lots of reading, fine eating and plenty of bācara, cicchetti, prosecco, etc. We've been on a lot of adventurous int'l trips in recent years (from the Middle East to the entire island of Honshu last fall) so ten days filled with nothing but good food and wine, cafes, art, books, and cruising on the canal sounds perfect to us! We'll probably save Milan to pair with the Lake Country the next time around.
LOL - I wish you luck! I've spent a ton of time lounging around Venice and trust me - after 5 days you will have seen it all! Yes - so many amazing things to see and do - but you can't believe how touristy and expensive Venice is (the restaurants, the sites, all of it) - and the water taxi definitely loses it's aura when you have to pay 100 euro to get to the train station... The Gritti Palace is great if you get the right room - but honestly everywhere in Venice is fun - just don't expect a grand canal view and you will be fine.... If 10 days is what you want then have a blast - just budget accordingly as Venice is way more expensive than you think!

If you can find this picture (hint - it's of a famous floor) I will be truly impressed - Venice has lots of hidden tours and treasures - go for it! Use the viator app - it's worth it....

The view from my room on my last trip - Venice is amazing - just keep an eye on your wallet!

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Nov 25, 2015 at 8:21 pm