FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2015-2017 GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles Int’l. Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:57 pm
AlwaysAisle

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
LAX T4 (AA terminal) used to have dedicated elite security area segregated from mortals. Then TSA-Pre came along, where there were two bag scanners at the elite security area, one was dedicated to TSA-Pre and one was dedicated to elite travelers. Back then TSA-Pre was still new and not many people were using TSA-Pre, usually lines at elite travelers X-ray baggage scanner people had waiting to go through the security but TSA-Pre X-ray baggage scanner was left empty not being used. TSA did not let elite travelers use TSA-Pre dedicated X-ray baggage scanner when it was not being used by TSA-Pre travelers, which irritated few elite travelers. TSA-Pre walked through X-ray machine, where elite travelers walked through nudo-scope, which that also irritated few elite travelers. It was bit little entertaining to see some elite travelers voicing their dissatisfaction to TSA agent working at the elite/TSA-Pre while waiting on line to go through the security.

Then I think change came about two years ago, if you remember those over there at Washington, D.C. did not pass the budget and government shut down started. TSA were forced to shrink operation, also. At LAX T4 they consolidated elite security and regular security line for mortals. However, there were and still today at the bottom of the escalator at Premium Check-In area where there is a checker checking boarding passes and only allowing TSA-Pre and elite travelers up that specify escalator.

I think now security setting at LAX T4 is not much different than other airports. There are separate lines for elite travelers for ID check. However, once ID check is complete the elite travelers get mixed with mortals for X-ray baggage screening and nudo-scope walk through. I know there are some elite travelers do not like to come within certain distance of mortal travelers, but that is life.

My home airport was LAX for 12 years plus, and I always thought being an elite had advantage for ease of going through the security. If I did not have an elite status, then especially during holiday season I would have easily added one hour plus for going through the security at LAX.