FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA/IAG CEO Willie Walsh Describes LHR As 'rip-off'
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:07 am
Worcester

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by srbrenna
I wouldn't be holding Brandenburg up as a shining example of how to build an airport
True it was well over budget, but still even after the budget overruns it was a 5th of the cost of the projected cost of 1 runway. I know it is a different location an everything but that is more the the Gross National Product of Iceland!!! On one runway. I can not see how your mind can not be blown away by this.

It is very nearly the entire output of Estonia for one year. Can you image if the whole of Estonian works for the whole year 1.32 million of them beavering away every day and all they managed to produce in that year was one runway?

The cost of this is more than the economic output of 88 of the worlds countries.

And I don't get where the money is going, concrete costs around £120 per cubic meter, if we assume the new runway is the same area as the existing Northern runway at 3,902m x 50m and add 50% extra for the taxi ways etc, that comes out at an area of nearly 300,000 square meters. To cover that in concrete to a depth of 1 meter would cost somewhere in the region of £35 million. I know there is a lot more to the runway and they need to buy an entire village to demolish it but £17 Billion, well that's not all being spent on concrete.

Am I the only one shocked by this number? Or actually shocked that we are willing to pay this amount? Don't get me wrong I think we desperately need a new runway (or two ideally)