FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Customer Support - Shooting at hotel - how to handle such situation?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:49 pm
ColePhelps

Programs: Marriott
Your point of view is that your experience was ruined and you/family experienced trauma from the ordeal. The hotel and workers are victims here too, though. They are freaked out AND they lost 23 days of your booking, which directly impacts their bottom line and their worker's hours if they are not needed. Your actual, legal loss is one night. I do see your point to an extent, but I cannot support getting free rooms for 25 days. If it were me, I would offer you 3 days comped at a comparable hotel (so, I guess 15,000 points) but no more. It wasn't their fault. They lost money on many levels. Ask yourself if the theater in Paris has to pay the people who survived the terrorist attacks. I believe most people would say No. I certainly do. Your mileage may vary. Were I they, I would make a deal with you to help you get Platinum status. That is a legitimate loss also. This is in your mutual interests, but I have had bad luck with everyone except Marriott and LaQuinta.
***ADDITIONAL It is axiomatic that you should not have to pay for the remaining nights of your stay. (Period) And are entitled to a refund or credit.

Last edited by ColePhelps; Nov 24, 2015 at 2:17 pm Reason: Was not sure if they refunded his nights.