FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Private Airport Security Screeners v TSA [merged threads]
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:40 am
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD

I favor using PreCheck's physical screening methodology (clothes on, laptops IN, WTMD w/ wanding to resolve alarms, NoS only as an escalation under supervision of a LEO), but I don't favor the government running a PreCheck equivalent background check on anyone who wants to buy a plane ticket. That's private, personal information they're digging up on you, and I favor strict limits on the government's (and individual government employees') access to such information, absent a compelling need. And if there is a compelling need, it better be in the open and require a justifiable warrant.
We agree on this point. I have never made the distinction but when I say I favor Pre Check type screening for all as a starting point I am thinking the physical part of the screening.

Besides TSA already has massive databases to consult for almost all travelers without needing a background check. It is those information streams that are consulted before a ticket is issued. TSA can grant PreCheck for most passengers now without having to do a background check. Criminal history and other records are readily available to TSA.