FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The mileage programs are ineffective
View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:21 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sigma6
I don't understand why airlines don't target families and their annual summer/winter vacations. I fly 1-2 year but were are a family of 3. If we spend 30-50k a year on gas, groceries, eating out, back to school with new laptops etc, that all gets translated to points. Even at the lowest 1x .01 value, that's $300 going to the airlines instead of amazon or best buy at the end of the year. Of course, if you dangle premium seats for a little more I might save them for a big trip.
Do you realize how hard it is to get 3 or more premium seats as "saver" awards on the same airline? The way most seat redemption algorithms at airline FFPs work, they're not often practical for families (they typically release one or maybe two seats at a time). So if the airlines marketed more to families, without there being award availability for families added, they'd have way more complaints.

The more people there are in a family, the more practical driving vacations are the less practical flying vacations are, even if you have miles.