FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Europe - JNB...ugh Ethiopian or Egyptian?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:54 pm
Mike Jacoubowsky

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by pduck01
Hi - planning family travel next summer and the Europe - JNB leg still isn't cooperating. Just hit platinum on UA so I will book something and hope something else opens up...but the current choice (LH, LX, TK, SA all zilch) yields the option of Egyptian Air or Ethiopian. I'm leaning towards the former as a layover in Addis doesn't sound pleasant. Thought please?
Chances approach 100% that you will survive whichever airline you choose, and the peculiar/different/unusual things, like what passes for a lounge at Addis Ababa... those are the things you will remember for a very long time. ^

The only airline I would go out of my way to avoid right now would be MS. When I've flown them in the past, their attitude about schedules and security could best be summed up as "fly casual." At CAI I actually found myself on the "wrong" side of security, without passing anyone or any obvious barriers to get where I wasn't supposed to be. That was three years ago; hopefully things have tightened up since.

If you're traveling in Y, it's going to be something of an ordeal, regardless of airline.

One possible advantage to routing with TK... somebody's probably already brought it up but I haven't seen it... is the incredible TK lounge at IST.