FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Montage Kapalua vs FS Maui vs Andaz Maui: pros and cons for each?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:06 am
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
THow do rates compare between Andaz and FS Maui for the relevant categories? I know you have said that price is not an issue, but particularly if Andaz were a value proposition (perhaps if a GP suite upgrade were available), I would be tempted to take a gamble on it instead of staying at FS Maui. Plus, multiple reports of very effective air con (almost too cold for some) definitely sounds like a plus for you.
We have Andaz partial oceanview suite at AAA rate of $659 for 6 nights over Thanksgiving week. A very good deal IMO. Lowest FS room price is $999; lowest suite price is $1449, and that's garden view.

We are definitely staying at the Andaz. The FS is close enough to still see our friends who stay there annually--and probably dine with them there at the FS whenever we want, too. But the (1) cost/benefit is superior at Andaz and (2) the reports about Andaz air con blasting arctic cold makes me salivate...in a good way. #pavlovsdoghere

Re StR Princeville, are there any categories of suites that are especially nice? I have heard mixed reviews about the property, but that view does look beautiful.
Last visit was May 2014. As SPG Plat, was upgraded to Junior Suite...but sweet front desk attendant upgraded me again to St. Regis Suite. View was fabulous. But Junior Suite has balcony whereas St. Regis Suite does not--which was fine with me (since I like a cold room anyway, and doors to balconies tend to warm a room in the tropics IME), but disappointing for my husband. We took a look at the Junior Suite and it also had a very nice view, but our corner location St Regis Suite really made for an incredible view. It was a very spacious living room, separated (sorta) bedroom, and huge bath--but the Junior Suite was also very spacious. You definitely want a VIEW room category at the StR Princeville.

The StR Princeville doesn't look so hot from the exterior--it's a dated exterior like so many Hawaiian hotels, since the state/communities don't easily allow remodel/refurbishment on exterior edifices. But public/lobby interiors were wonderful--and it was fantastic service. Our room decor was fine--nothing extravagant but nicely designed and very comfortable, and definitely with a Hawaiian vibe. Reminds me of the Halekulani decor after their refresh. The air con in my suite was good--not great--but I was comfortable the entire duration of our stay.

My biggest issue with the StR Princeville was the main dining restaurant--food and service were outstanding, but it was a very claustrophobic, less inviting space than anywhere else at the resort. That restaurant apparently is now closed for refurbishment/relocation--as they obviously took my criticism to heart. Otherwise, we've always loved the F&B at this hotel.

It is cloudier/rainier on average on that side of the island so it's to be avoided during the winter/holiday months for most people. But we had most full days of sunshine, with one big rainstorm.

But the view is the best in Hawaii, again.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 20, 2015 at 11:15 am