FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Consulate in Bangkok. You've got to be kidding.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:17 am
Tchiowa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ZetaToplover
As a long term resident of BKK, I must agree with your rant 100%. I actually had very little contact with them. Then, I was in a taxi accident as a passenger, where the taxi was hit by two pick-up trucks and my close friend was killed instantly. I was in the hospital for a year (inc. rehab. and a U.S. hospital after transport). The U.S. Embassy was close to completely useless, other than making a few notifications. The worst part was the confusion and total lack of work ethic, in a situation where I needed some help. The driver of one of the pick-ups was charged in the accident by the Thai Police. There was a court case (the U.S. embassy dropped the ball as far as notification and follow-up).........and the worst part I get a call a year later by an embassy employee asking me if I am "satisfied with the settlement in court"? huh???????? I asked the employee what she was talking about....she really did not know, but said "I was asked to ask you if you are satisfied, by the Thai government" I told her I didn't know anything as to what she was referring to......I owed $145,000 in medical bills after insurance and had to pay for everything.........no one helped with anything including getting my friend's body back to the U.S. She said......"OK, I know what to do"....that was a year ago.........I never heard from them again. Thanks for all your help, U.S. Embassy BKK. I know they have a limited role, but this was a bad situation where their confusion and lack of expertise was overwhelming.
I won't go into the detail of what went wrong when I applied for my wife's various visas.

One line summary of what I'm dealing with now is that they tell me there is a problem but they won't tell me what the problem is and they won't tell me what I need to do to fix it and they won't let us move forward until it's fixed.

The worst part about all of it, and it's clear from your comments you saw something similar, is that not only are they unhelpful (I'm not going to say "incompetent" because I think it's more that they are just bureaucratic) but they sincerely don't seem to understand why we're not satisfied with their actions. They really think they're doing great work. Scary, IMO.