FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - El Chalten<>Cuevas de las Manos-->Ushuaia Tips and Itinerary Feedback
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:36 am
getmethere

Take a hike, or two

Originally Posted by philip0
Hi. I got lucky on some direct NYC-EZE lie-flat F award tickets and plan to spend about 20 days in Argentina this upcoming January, primarily to explore Patagonia. Flying into FTE on 2 Jan, returning to BsAs on 15 Jan from USH. First time in Patagonia though not in Argentina.

We're booked at Los Cerros in El Chalten for the first 6 nights with a plan to do 3 day-hikes and probably a guided Viedma Glacier cruise/hike. (2-8 Jan)

The second half will be Ushuaia-centric. Priorities and itinerary still under construction, but tentatively I plan to stay at Los Caquenes or Arakur Ushuaia. (10-15 Jan)

I'd love to hear some thoughts on the following:
  • Ground transport between FTE, El Chalten. Initially I planned to get a private transfer from FTE to the hotel in El Chalten as we arrive early afternoon. However, looking at quotes ($600 for two people one way) it seems renting a car for a week, even if it just sits in a lot, provides more optionality for roughly similar cost and more control over our schedule. Am I missing something?
  • Cave of the Hands as a destination in general (e.g., vs. Walichu) and an intermediate destination between FTE arrival and USH departure. When I booked the trip this was one of my top shortlisted must-sees. I'm not bothered that it's a 6-hour drive from El Chalten with only one (lame) place to stay nearby, but getting there and then back down to Ushuaia costs 2 days (3 total including day at the caves). Is the road at least scenic? Is there a way to get down to Ushuaia that doesn't require us to simply double back to Chalten or Calafate?
  • Ground transport between El Calafate and Ushuaia. I'm inclined to fly but should I be considering the bus more seriously for thrills or scenery?
  • Ushuaia tour or site recommendations. Likely a penguin colony day tour and a splurge on a helicopter ride to Cape Horn, with the rest glacier / TDF national park day hikes. Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks a lot.
Just done this:

Tour glacier in el Calaffate, with ferry ride. Very crowded, rainy, but still fantastic.

Took bus from el Calafate to el Chalten. Blown away scenic along the ride, make sure to sit on the driver side, I.e. left side. Bring squeegy to clean fogged up window. Three hours.

Took Viedma Glacier cruise/hike, non pro one. 1870 pesos. Worth every peso. Extremely friendly and helpful guides, even for non hikers. Bring gloves sunglasses.

Took short Lake Caprice hike. First view area the best. Lake so so. 40 minute hike from ranger statation also great. Encountered brief snow fall at summit, in November.

Terrible internet connection in these two towns.

Enjoy.